RF & Photonics at IIT Madras
In 2000 - 2001, the board of Governors, IITM had agreed to set-up Center for Intelligent Optical Networks at IIT Madras, using the seed money from Dr.Gururaj Deshpande who had committed to fund the initiative. This centre was then expanded to include RF communications under the broader umbrella of the Deshpande Centre for Communications, in the Department of Electrical Engineering.
Work in the area of RF and Photonics falls into 3 broad categories
- Devices and Components - Integrated optoelectronics, Fibre Bragg Gratings (FBGs), Plasmonics, Optical MEMS, quantum sensing
- Subsystems - Optoelectronic devices, mixed signal electronics and microwave photonics
- Networks - Communication networks, both at a physical layer and the implementation of algorithms and protocols at the service layer, along with advanced encryption schemes using quantum key distribution.
- RF systems - Radar signal processing, satellite imagery, microwave magnetics
There are currently 10 faculty and over 70 staff and students working on different areas in photonics. In addition to teaching laboratories, we have reseach laboratories that focus on experiments in RF and Photonics.
- Ankit wins the Institute Research Award for 2021
- Shashank heads to NCSU, Raleigh on a Fulbright Fellowship, Sept'21.
- Lokesh wins the best poster award at IONS, 2020 for his work on ODMR.
- Smaranika received best poster presentation award for her work on “ Partially Degenerate Intermodal Four Wave Mixing in a Two-Mode Fiber” at National Symposium on Light-Matter Interaction - 2019, Chennai
- Best Poster presentation is awarded to Raghu Dharmavarapu for his work on “MetaOptics: Software for designing metasurface optical elements” at ICOL-2019, IRDE, Dehradun
- Aneesh S has received Institute Research award for 2019
- Work of Dr. Uday's team has been published as news article “ IIT-M’s model detects cancer with deep learning, microwave'. For more information clickhere