Integrated Circuits and Systems group, IIT Madras

EC1010: Electrical and Magnetic Circuits(Jan.-May 2012)



  • ESB127: Odd roll numbers
  • ESB106: Even roll numbers


A slot(Mo 8am, Tu 1pm, Th 11am, Fr 10am)

Teaching Assistants

  • Ajay EDA
  • Dileep Kumar
  • Imon Mondal
  • Maitrey Kamble
  • Praveen Kumar
  • Shaik Hussainvali
  • Vankudothu Srinivas
  • Venumahesh Pallapu

TAs can be reached at ec1010iitm at gmail dot com


There will be four quizzes(Jan. 30, Feb. 20, Mar. 12, Apr. 2) and an end semester exam. These will count for 50-60% of the grade and the end semester exam for the remaining 40%. Tutorials held periodically will count for up to 10% of the grade.

Recorded lectures

The recorded lectures are available here. You can also find lectures from previous years at the same link. The introductory lecture has information on prerequisites and references.


Problem sets will be posted below. You are expected to solve them on your own. You can approach the teaching assistants for clarifications and help. You should work each one before the corresponding tutorial session dates given below.

  1. Tutorial 1, Due 23rd January 2012: Basic circuits; Node and Mesh analysis
  2. Tutorial 2, Due 9th February 2012: Circuit theorems; Opamps
  3. Tutorial 3, Due on 24th February 2012: RC, RLC network response; Differential equations
  4. Tutorial 4, Due on 6th March 2012: Phasor analysis, locus diagrams.
  5. Tutorial 5, Due on 2nd April 2012: Three Phase Systems.


  • Understand the behavior of basic circuit elements
  • Understand basic laws applicable to all circuits
  • Learn circuit analysis methods applicable to all linear circuits

After taking this course, one should be able to analyze any circuit(=write down the equations for the circuit and solve them) with linear elements with ideal voltage and current sources and opamps.


Current and voltage; Kirchhoff's current and voltage laws; Basic elements R, L, C, M; Power and energy; Nodal analysis; Mesh analysis; Circuit theorems; Incremental analysis of nonlinear circuits; Negative feedback and ideal opamp; First and second order circuits and corresponding differential equations; Forced and natural response; Step response; Sinusoidal steady state response; Phasor diagrams; Bode plots; 3 phase systems; Magnetic circuits-magnetic analogs of KVL and KCL; Hysteresis loops

Text book

  • Hayt, Kemmerly, and Durbin, Engineering Circuit Analysis, 7th Edition, McGraw Hill 2006.



  • High school algebra and calculus; Basic electrostatics


Attendance will be strictly enforced and those falling short will not be permitted to write the end sem exam. TAs will go around the room taking attendance at the beginning of the class. If you are more than 5 min. late, please do not enter the classroom.