IIT Madras campus is located on the Sardar Patel Road, half-way between the Raj Bhavan and Adayar bus terminus,
and about 12 kms from Chennai Central. The other landmarks are the Guindy Snake Park adjacent to the IIT Main gate,
Gandhi Mandapam (Anna University Stop) and the Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI) campus opposite to IIT Madras.
For places to eat, hostels, and important places inside the campus click here.
The following are the ways to reach IIT Madras from Railway stations (Central & Egmore), Airport, and Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus (CMBT):
FROM CHENNAI CENTRAL RAILWAY STATION
The bus stop is right
opposite the Central Station. You could use the subway to cross the road which is perpetually busy.
- The direct buses to the campus are 18B and 5C. If you take any of them, get
down at Gandhi Mandapam or CLRI bus stop, which is at walking distance from the IIT main gate.
- You can also take any bus to Saidapet (18, 18A, 18E, 52K, 52L, D18, D51, etc. ) and from there, any bus heading for Adyar or Besant Nagar (5B, 47, 47A, 47D, 23C etc.) will drop you at CLRI bus stop.
- You could also take any bus to Adyar; there are frequent buses from Adyar Signal to the campus.
There are two train lines from Chennai central(opposite to Chennai-Central station).
Auto or Taxi
- Beach-Velachery line : Park Town Station
You can take a train to Kasturba Nagar (Adyar) and walk to campus which is at a walking
distance of 5 minutes from the station.
- Beach-Tambaram line: Chennai Park station
You can take a train to Guindy and reach the campus
by bus or auto. It is not usually advisable.
It is important to note that auto rickshaws in Chennai do not run on metre. The fare quoted by the driver is generally unreasonably high.
So, it is better to opt for pre-paid/call/online autos/taxis. The pre-paid taxi/auto is available just outside the Chennai
Central railway station.
Call Taxi Operators:
- Fast Track 044 2473 2020
- Zig Zag 044 2474 9966
- Barathi 044-2814 2233
- Chennai Call Taxi 044-2598 4455
- Om Sakthi 044-2224 7171There is a token booth for call taxis outside the station.
Online cab services:
If you are availing this facility, make sure you mention the destination via Adyar Gate of the campus.
If you arrive at the Chennai Meenambakkam Airport, you can make your way to the
Institute in a pre-paid taxi. Or you can take call/online autos/taxis.
The direct buses from Chennai airport to the campus are PP21 and 21G.
FROM CHENNAI EGMORE RAILWAY STATION
You can take 23C to IIT or take a bus to Adyar signal from where there are a number of buses to IIT. You can also make use of pre-paid/call/online autos/taxis mentioned above.
From CMBT, you can come to institute by taking city bus 23M or by call/online autos/taxis.