RF & Photonics at IIT Madras
In 2000 - 2001, the board of Governors, IITM had agreed to set-up Center for Intelligent Optical Networks at IIT Madras, using the seed money from Dr.Gururaj Deshpande who had committed to fund the initiative. This centre functions as part of the Deshpande Centre for Communications, and is a part of the Department of Electrical Engineering.
Work in the area of Photonics falls into 3 broad categories
- Devices and Components - Integrated optoelectronics, Fibre Bragg Gratings (FBGs), Plasmonics, Optical MEMS, All optical logic
- Subsystems - Optoelectronic devices and mixed signal electronics for metrology and instrumentation
- Networks - Classical and quantum optical communication networks, both at a physical layer and the implementation of algorithms and protocols at the service layer, and advanced encryption schemes using quantum key distribution.
There are currently 10 faculty and over 70 staff and students working on different areas in photonics. In addition to teaching laboratories, we have laboratories that focus on research in
- Experimental Optics
- Fibre Lasers
- High Power Fibre Lasers
- Fibre Bragg Grating Fabrication
- Integrated Optics and Plasmonics
- Optical Communication and Networks
- Click here for latest campus news.
- Work of Dr. Uday's team has been published as news article “ IIT-M’s model detects cancer with deep learning, microwave'. For more information clickhere
- Ankit's work has been published as news article ” IIT Madras develops a material with properties suitable for quantum optoelectronics“. For more information click here.
- Photonics 2018: Best Oral Presentation for Smaranika Swain
- Photonics 2018: Best poster presentation for Kavita Sharma