Integrated Circuits and Systems group, IIT Madras

EE1001: Electrical and Magnetic Circuits(Jan.-May 2015)



  • CRC101


Mo 8-8:50am
Tu 1-1:50pm
Th 11-11:50am
Fr 8-8:50am

For those with slot clash on Fridays 8am: video lecture of that class will take place same day (Fridays) 10am in ESB207A. Attendance will also be taken at this time.

Teaching Assistants

Contact from your moodle page (Accessible only on IITM campus).


There will be four quizzes(Feb 9, Feb 23, Mar 23, Apr 13) and an end semester exam. The quizzes will count for 50-60% of the grade and the end semester exam for the remaining 40%. Tutorials held periodically will count for up to 10% of the grade.

Recorded lectures

The recorded lectures are available here. You can also find lectures from previous years at the same link. The introductory lecture has information on prerequisites and references.


Problem sets will be posted below. You are expected to solve them on your own. You can approach the teaching assistants for clarifications and help. You should work each one before the corresponding tutorial session dates given below. Solve the problems cleanly in a notebook showing the steps clearly and show it to the TAs during tutorial sessions.

  1. Problem set 1 (23rd Jan. 2015): Basic elements; Power and energy
  2. Problem set 2 (6th Feb. 2015): Nodal analysis; Modified nodal analysis
  3. Problem set 3 (13th Feb. 2015): Mesh analysis; Circuit theorems
  4. Problem set 4 (17th Feb. 2015): Circuit theorems; Two port networks
  5. Problem set 5 (27th Feb. 2015): Small signal analysis of nonlinear circuits
  6. Problem set 6 (12th Mar. 2015): Opamp circuits
  7. Problem set 7 (7th Apr. 2015): RC, RL, RLC network response, differential equations
  8. Problem set 8 (9th Apr. 2015): Sinusoidal steady state response, Phasor diagrams, Bode plots
  9. Problem set 9 (20th Apr. 2015): Locus diagrams, Conjugate matching
  10. Problem set 10 (28th Apr. 2015): Three phase circuits, scan
  11. Problem set 11 (28th Apr. 2015): Magnetic circuits

Text book

  • Hayt, Kemmerly, and Durbin, Engineering Circuit Analysis, 8th Edition, McGraw Hill 2012 (Indian Edition).



Attendance will be strictly enforced and those falling short will not be permitted to write the end sem exam. TAs will go around the room taking attendance at the beginning of the class. If you are more than 5 min. late, please do not enter the classroom.