Frequently asked questions regarding the start of the research program in July-August 2021

What is provisional-admission?
The institute procedures require physical verification of documents before admission is formally complete. Since travel is not possible due to the ongoing Covid19 pandemic, you are given provisional-admission. The provisional-admission will be automatically upgraded to full-admission once the situation normalizes and the campus reopens in residential mode. This is subject to the verification of the originals of the documents relating to your eligibility, payment of fee, and completion of the registration formalities on the date of admission.

When will classes begin?
Classes are scheduled to begin on 2nd August 2021.

Which courses should I register for? How do I register for courses?
This information will be given during the orientation session which is tentatively scheduled for 26th July. Faculty from your stream will inform you of the details.

How many courses should I register for?
Faculty from your stream will advise of the courses you need to register for based on your program and background. Details will be provided during the orientation session.

How do I attend classes?
Classes will be held online. The faculty teaching your course will give you details about conduct of classes, mode of communication with faculty, and any software installation that may be required.

Do these courses count towards my degree requirements?
After your full-admission procedure is completed, these courses can be credited towards your degree requirements.

What if I miss an online class due to problems with internet connectivity?
The classes will also be recorded. The recording will be made available to you.

Who will be my research advisor?
Different streams have different ways of pairing students with advisors. You will be provided with more details during the orientation session.

When and where is the all important orientation session?
The orientation session will be held online. It is tentatively scheduled for 26th July.

Do I need to pay fees now?
Yes, The fee amount is mentioned on your offer letter. The fee payment link is provided on the call letter.

Do I need to do anything other than paying the fees?
Yes, you have to fill the two forms mentioned in the offer letter(The institute’s Admission form and the EE department’s acceptance form ) on or before 14th July 2020. The links are provided on the call letter.

What happens if I do not pay the fees and fill out the forms by the deadline in the letter?
You will be forfeiting the seat.

Do I receive a fellowship after I join?
For students eligible to receive fellowship, the fellowship will start on the date of provisional admission.

I am an external student. How do I fulfil my residential requirement?
The July-November semester will be in online mode. You can begin your residential semester once the institute reopens in residential mode.

What are the different categories-HTRA, Project, Project-NHTRA, External, Part-time?
In the first three categories(HTRA, Project, Project-NHTRA) you will receive a stipend. The different categories refer to different sources of financial support. External or Part-time students do not receive financial support from the institute.

Where do I pay the fees?

The payment site is https://pay.iitm.ac.in/fees/tuitionfee.aspx. This is mentioned in the offer letter

The fee shown on the payment site is different from what is mentioned in the offer letter. Which is the correct amount?

The amount shown on the offer letter. As mentioned in the instructions at this link(the link is also in the offer letter), ignore some of the fields on the form and pay the amount mentioned in the offer letter.

I am offered a project position. What is the “project coordinator letter” mentioned in the Admission form? 

The “project coordinator letter” applies only to applicants who are employed at IIT Madras. If you do not belong to this category, this does not apply to you.

I am in my final semester and do not have the final results yet. What do I upload instead of the degree certificate? 

Upload the transcripts of the latest semester that you have.

I have only a provisional certificate. What should I upload?

Upload the provisional certificate.

Where are the HTRA undertaking links?

For MS students: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x6u033DfVOVqAUuwyw5L3s5zHcHFqx0U/view

For PhD students: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gD-DgdCYSXYoY5YX1tPoHgcdhZ7D5dLI/view

In the “Admission Form(M.S./Ph.D./Direct Ph.D.) – July Nov 2021”, “No Objection Certificate” and “Project Co-ordinator Letter” have only spaces for answers

These are not applicable to all candidates. If it is applicable to you, please include them in the “Consolidated” documents and submit.

What are the “Consolidated documents”? 

If “No Objection Certificate”, “Project Co-ordinator Letter” etc. are applicable to you, include those documents here.