Semiconductor Device Modelling – EE5313
- Semiconductors: Energy bands; Thermal equilibrium carrier concentration. Excess carriers, quasi Fermi levels; Recombination of carriers, lifetime.
- Carrier transport by drift, mobility; Carrier transport by diffusion; Continuity equation. Diffusion length.
- Quantitative theory of PN junctions: Steady state I-V characteristics under forward bias, reverse bias and illumination. Capacitances. Dynamic behavior under small and large signals. Breakdown mechanisms.
- Quantitative theory of bipolar junction transistors having uniformly doped regions. Static characteristics in active and saturation regions. Emitter efficiency, transport factor, transit time.
- Theory of Field Effect Transistors : Static characteristics of JFETs. Analysis of MOS capacitor. Calculation of threshold voltage. Static I-V characteristics of MOSFETs and their models.