Transducers – EE6403
Title : Trasducers – EE6403
Course No :
- Measurement Systems: Definition of terminologies – Generalized performance
characteristics – Amplitude modulation for data handling – demodulator circuits.
Passive transducers: Definition
- Resistance potentiometer – noise – resolution. Strain gauges – associated electrical
circuitry- temperature compensation – load cells – torque and pressure measurement
using strain gauges.
- Resistance thermometers – three-lead arrangement – Thermistors – linearization. Hotwire anemometers – time constant improvement – measurement of direction of flow.
- General factors governing the design of self-inductance transducers – transversearmature and plunger type- sensitivity and nonlinearity – Associated bridge circuits –choice of components.
- LVDT – Expression for mutual inductance variation – null voltage – lead and lag
networks – applications of LVDTs.
- Capacitance Transducers:
- Various configurations – sensitivity and nonlinearity factors – associated signal
- Transfer function and frequency response.
- Theory-servo systems for measurement of non-electrical quantities.
- Definition – General type pickups, thermocouples –Piezoelectric sensors – use of charge amplifiers with piezoelectric sensors.
- Overall instrumentation system for measurement of non-electrical quantities like displacement and velocity, acceleration, force, pressure, sound flow, temperature, etc.
Text Books :
- K. Neubert, ‘Instrument Transducers-An introduction to their performance
and design’ Oxford University press, Oxford, Second edition-2003.
- E. O. Doeblin ‘Measurement Systems – Application and Design’ McGraw –
Hill Publications, Fifth Edition, 2004.