Digital Filter Design – EE6131
Title : Digital Filter Design
Course No : EE6131
IIR Filter Design: Review of classical analog filter design (Butterworth, Chebyshev, Elliptic)–design of digital filters based on continuous-time filters–mapping of differentials–impulse invariant transformation–modified impulse invariant transformation–bilinear transformation–matched z-transform technique–Padé approximation–Prony’s method–Shank’s method–spectral transformations for digital filters.
FIR Filter Design: Review of conditions needed for precise linear phase–design techniques for linear phase FIR filters: (a) windowing method, (b) frequency sampling, (c) weighted Chebyshev approximation.
Quantization Effects: Review of binary representation of numbers–truncation and rounding–coefficient quantization–roundoff noise–interaction of roundoff noise and dynamic range–scaling for parallel and cascade forms–limit-cycle oscillations–state-space structures–error spectrum shaping via feedback.
Allpass Filters: Allpass transfer function and its properties–digital two-pair–design of allpass filters using digital two-pair–parallel allpass realization of certain IIR transfer functions.
Miscellaneous Topics: Narrowband IIR digital filters with low roundoff noise–halfband digital filters–Hilbert transformers.
Text Books :
Digital Filters and Signal Processing by Leland B. Jackson, 3rd edition, 1996, Kluwer Academic, Boston, MA.
- Theory and Application of Digital Signal Processing
- by Lawrence R. Rabiner and Bernard Gold, 1975, Prentice-Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Digital Filters: Analysis, Design, and Applications by Andreas Antoniou, 2nd edition, 1993, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Digital Signal Processing by Andreas Antoniou, 2006, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Digital Signal Processing by Sanjit K. Mitra, 3rd edition, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Statistical Digital Signal Processing and Modeling by Monson H. Hayes, 2001, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY.