Fiber Optic Communication Technology is intended as a graduate level course, which is structured such that there is a seamless transition from Physical Layer issues to Data Link Layer issues in optical communication systems and networks.
Introduction: Motivation for optical networks, Link requirements, throughputs, distance-bandwidth product
Simple Link Design: Modes in optical fibers, losses and attenuation. LED/LD/DFB-based transmitters, modulation, extinction ratio, PIN/PIN-TIA receivers, noise sources, bandwidth vs sensitivity, simple link design.
Multi-hop Link Design: Inline amplifiers, EDFA basic model, noise analysis, Raman Amplifier. Pre-amplifed receiver, OSNR, APD-based receiver, Chromatic Dispersion, effect on signal, mitigation, Power penalty approach to link design, multihop link design, WDM components, nonlinearity, PMD, PDL, crosstalk
Networking Basics: Computer Network, definition and scope, layering concepts, a simple network architecture and its functions, ISO/OSI 7 layer reference model, functionality of first three layers, with emphasis on Data Link layer. Framing, error control, MAC layer functions, CSMA/CD, circuit, packet and message switching.
Digital Transmission Basics: A simple synchronous TDM, timing inaccuracies, timing issues in practical digital links, master-slave and independent timing architectures, slips, elastic stores and asynchronous multiplexing.
Basic Optical Networks: Plesiochronous Digital Heirarchy (PDH), E1, DS1 lines. DS2 frame structure and asynchronous multiplexing. Disadvantages of PDH and introduction to SDH networks, elements of SDH infrastructure, AU-4 justification and UPSR.
1. Rajiv Ramaswamy, Kumar N. Sivarajan and Galen Sasaki, “Optical Networks - A Practical Perspective”, Morgan and Kaufmann, NY. 3 e, 2008.
- L. L. Peterson and B S Davie, “Computer Networks. A system approach”, 2e, Margan and Kaufmann, 2000.
- Bellamy, “Digital Telephony”, PHI, 2000.
- Mynbaev and Scheiner, “Fiber Optic Communication Technology”, Pearson, 3rd Indian Reprint, 2003.
- Bertsekas and Gallager, “Data Networks”. PHI.
- Biswanath Mukherjee, “Optical WDM Networks” Springer, 2006.