Silicon Photonics Research at IIT Madras
Silicon photonics is now one of the thrust areas of research in our Centre for NEMS and Nanophotonics (funded by DeitY, Govt. of India). Some of our ongoing research activities are:
- Spot-size converters to integrate microns to sub-micron waveguides to enable large-scale on- chip integration.
- Low impedance integration of 2D photonic crystal structures for slow light applications
- Low dimension photonic wire waveguides, submicron grating structures and microring resonators, etc. for enhanced nonlinear interactions, delay lines, and wavelength selective parametric and non-parametric processes.
- Waveguide phase shifters (p-i-n/p-n/MOS structures and microheaters) for active functional devices/circuits
- Novel wavelength filter devices for high-speed optical interconnects and sensing applications