M.S. / Ph.D. Admission Criteria (2018-19)
In addition to the eligibility criteria listed in admissions brochure for the MS/PhD program, the Electrical Engineering department applies the following criteria for shortlisting.
Note: If any of these marks are incorrectly reported in your application form, IIT Madras reserves the right to cancel your application on that basis.
Note: In addition the following types of application are handled as follows:
- University UG rank holders (ranks 1 to 10) who clear GATE/NET/JRF will be shortlisted for PhD test and interview
(University rank means just that. Not college rank. Further, the number of students attempting the university exam should be substantial. So this will be decided on a case by case basis.)
- MSc is considered to be a UG degree, and BSc is not considered as a qualifying degree. MSc students should have cleared NET or GATE to be called for interview. Such students may also be called for PhD test and interview on a case by case basis.
- 4 Year BS will be considered equivalent to a UG degree. BS students should have cleared NET or GATE to be called for interview. Such students may also be called for PhD test and interview on a case by case basis.
- Applicants who have cleared their undergraduate degree from IITs and other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTI) with high CGPA (8.0 or above) are eligible to apply directly for PhD. They do not have to clear GATE. They may be shortlisted for PhD test and interviews based on ug performance. These students are also eligible to apply for MS.
- Applicants from IITs with high CGPA (above 8.0 for general category students, and above 7.5 for reserved category students) are eligible to apply for MS without clearing GATE. They will be automatically shortlisted for MS test and interviews.
- Applicants who have been (and continue to be) in an IIT Madras project for six months are eligible to apply for MS even if they do not have a gate score. All such project students must have a strong recommendation from their project supervisors. Shortlisting will be done based on external/part time rules.
- PhD applicants with good GATE score who are not otherwise eligible may be shortlisted on a case by case basis.
- PhD applicants with high GRE scores who are not otherwise eligible may be shortlisted on a case by case basis.
- MS or PhD applicants with relevant (non-teaching) work-experience who are not otherwise eligible may be shortlisted on a case by case basis.
- MS or PhD applicants with publications in reputed journals or conferences who are not otherwise eligible may be shortlisted on a case by case basis.
- MS applications with GRE scores not accepted as of now.
- PhD applications from candidates with 1 year masters cannot be accepted. The application may be considered for the MS programme instead, provided the UG and GATE scores meet MS norms.
- Candidates with CGPA of 8 and above ( marks of 75% and above) in UG can apply for direct PhD program. GATE is not required if candidate is from a CFTI. Else candidate should have a GATE score meeting MHRD criteria.